Saturday, January 14, 2012

Book review: The Name of the Star

I just finished reading The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson and figured I would write my thoughts about it. I have already posted the synopsis (see Monday's post). Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's a modern day Jack the Ripper story. Not really knowing the details of the original murders, I read up a bit about them as I was reading this novel. For those who do not know anything about the Ripper, the book provides enough background information. There is also a map at the beginning of the book so you can see where the various murders took place.

What I liked: I liked the paranormal take of this story. I also liked the fact that the book was quick paced. I read it in a couple of days and never felt as though it was dragging on. I loved the characters and would like to see how their stories will develop in the series.

What I did not like: The book ended very abruptly. I felt as though the author was running out of pages and felt the need to end the book all of a sudden. I don't mind cliff hanger endings, which this book had, but I felt that perhaps Maureen Johnson could have taken a little more time to tie up some of the loose ends.

I look forward to seeing what happens next. It is so hard waiting for the next book in the series especially when the book ends leaving you wanting more.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home