Friday, July 6, 2012

More Frequent Book Posts

It's finally summer holidays for me. Part of me feels like this school year was super long and another part of me feels as though I only started teaching yesterday. I will miss my students so much (especially those graduating), but am definitely looking forward to two months of down time. Since I am off for these next two months, I thought that I would focus more on posts about books. This means that I won't be sticking to my regular themed posts. I am so behind on my book challenge (I am 11 books behind). So I am taking these two months to do some major reading catch up.
Today I finished my first read of July:




Clarity by Kim Harrington

Synopsis: Don't close your eyes. Except when the truth is too dark to bear.
Clarity
"Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like
stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a
certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to
help solve the case -- but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk.
Then Clare's brother -- who has supernatural gifts of his own -- becomes
the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with
Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture
into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer.
But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?


Review: I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Last year I read a book The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June, which is about three sisters who each have special psychic powers. I really really had a hard time finishing that book even though it was a pretty short read. So when I read the synopsis of Clarity, I was immediately reminded of that book. I was worried that I would not enjoy it, that it would take me forever to read and that I would have once again wasted my money on a book I did not enjoy.
I was hooked from the first page and had a hard time putting it down. This book is quick paced and fun to read. It lacks some depth in terms of character development but it is definitely an enjoyable and quick summer read. I thought I had the murderer figured out early on but there was a twist that I did not expect. I love when I am proven wrong in these mystery type books.
I am starting the second book in the series Perception and am really looking forward to seeing what happens next in the lives of Clare (Clarity), her family and friends.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars





Synopsis: When you can see things others can't, what do you do when someone's watching you?

Everybody knows about Clarity "Clare" Fern. She's the psychic girl in
school, the one who can place her hands on something and see hidden
visions from the past.

Only Clare would rather not be a celebrity. She prefers hanging back, observing. Her gift is not a game to her.

But then someone starts playing with her head... and heart. Messages
and gifts from a secret admirer crop up everywhere Clare turns. Could
they be from Gabriel, the gorgeous boy who gets Clare's pulse racing? Or
from Justin, Clare's hopeful ex-boyfriend who'd do anything to win her
back?

One thing is certain. Clare needs to solve this mystery,
and soon. Because the messages are becoming sinister, and a girl in town
has suddenly disappeared. Clare needs to see her way to the
truth—before it's much too late.


Next on my list to be read this week:






Revived by Cat Patrick

Synopsis:
As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.
A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can
bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has
been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary
risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a
new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy
begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she
discovers the agency's true goals, she realizes she's at the center of
something much larger -- and more sinister -- than she ever imagined.



Look for reviews of Perception and Revived later this week!

 

**all synopsis from Amazon.com

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home