Friday, September 2, 2011

A little happiness

Before I begin this post, just a little note. I will often post many times in a day. These are the days when I am feeling creative or have a lot to say. So make sure you scroll down and check all the entries for that day :)





Tonight's topic is happiness and the question is: Can we really be happy for no reason at all? I came across the book Happy For No Reason by Marci Shimoff a couple of years ago and picked it up. Something about the title screamed out "read me!" I was on a bit of a self help book craze during that time and was buying various books about happiness and meditation and yoga. Of course, like all phases do, this one died out and a few of the books sat on my shelf collecting dust. These books eventually ended up in a cupboard when I rearranged my bookshelf and I only came across them last week while cleaning out my cupboard of randomness. I usually read fiction novels, I love getting lost in a sorry and imagining the settings and characters. But every once in a while I feel like reading something different. Once again, the title jumped out at me. This time I picked it up and I started reading.

So far I am enjoying it but am not far enough into it to give it a review. With all the stress of getting ready for a new school year at a new school and other stresses that everyday life just seems to create, one can get a little down in the dumps. The author of this book created the Chicken Soup for the Women's Soul books. Having loved those books, I am expecting great things from this one. I am hoping to discover what habits make a person calmer, happier, less stressed. I will be sure to write a full review as soon as I finish it.

A happiness book I did read and enjoyed very much is Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project.






Synopsis from Amazon: Gretchen Rubin had an epiphany. One rainy afternoon on a city bus, she realized that she wasn't as happy as she could be. In danger of wasting her days - always yearning for something more, waiting for problems to miraculously solve themselves - she realized her life wasn't going to change unless she did something about it. On January 1, she embarked on her Happiness Project, and each month she pursued a different set of resolutions: to get more sleep, quit nagging her husband, sing in the morning to her two young daughters, start a blog, imitate a spiritual master, keep a one-sentence journal. She immersed herself in everything from classical philosophy to contemporary psychology to see what worked for her-and what didn't.

I adored this book and loved her ideas for creating a set of resolutions for each month.

Share your happy books ideas with me,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home